1. Phones are critical in society. You cannot walk down a city street without seeing the aggressive impact phones have made. People will walk into walls, trip down stairs, crash cars, all because phones give us what want to see. They transcend ourselves and find a home in the hands of billions of people.
2. Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. These sources of widespread communication have emerged as indispensable. They provide immediate access to news, social conversation, information, and all the cute baby animal pictures we need to survive.
3. Phones allow students to get a direct line to their parents. If you need to get a ride after school, or if you need to go home sick, or if you going over your friend Jimmy’s house, your parents need to know. Its way more obstructive for a student to have to go to the deans to make a call. Also parents don’t need to be worried as much about their kids. Win-win
4. Less kids in trouble is always a good thing, especially for minor offenses. Getting in trouble for having your phone out at the cafeteria is like getting a detention for reading a book during lunch. All using phones does is allow a student to access a world beyond the high school walls; getting in trouble for that was not received well.
5. Communication can now be modern. Previously, a teacher would have to just tell you what the homework was or when a project was due, but allowing phones in allows students to directly receive who, where, what, and how about anything related to school. Apps like google classroom can finally be purposed to their full potential.
6. A phone contains the ability to access the entirety of human knowledge, art, and spirit found online. There is an unfathomable amount of brilliant insight, opinion, and intelligence wrapped up in the internet. Allowing students to now access this a definitely a step in the right direction.
7. Calendars are not carried around anymore; they’re all inside the walls of our phones. Alarms, reminders, calendars, and itineraries are default in our software because they’re amazingly useful to an individual. Productivity can increase, and the likelihood of a student forgetting to do their homework goes down slightly.
8. Allowing the use of phones actually will actually increase productivity. Researchers have found that not allowing workers to access the internet for personal reasons makes them use so much willpower to not go online, that their performance suffers at work. Pinterest makes you productive.