January 18, 2020
Abrianna Ouellette '22
Mr. Simmons is the chorus teacher here at Peabody High. He is one of my favorite teachers, so I decided to interview him. Here are some of his answers to questions I asked him:
1. When did you first start teaching?
I started teaching in 1995. It was my first job in a public school. The school was located in Medford, Massachusetts.
2. Did you always want to be a chorus teacher, or is there something else that you wanted to do?
Yes, absolutely, I have always wanted to be a chorus teacher. When I was in school, I had an inspiring choral director. They still encourage and support me to this day.
3. What’s your favorite type of music?
My favorite type of music is choral music and any and all kinds of choral music.
4. What inspired you to get into music?
What inspired me to get into music was my community. I like to collaborate with others to do music.
5. What type of music do you prefer teaching?
I prefer teaching music that inspires, music that soothes, and music that excites. Really any style as long as it connects.
6. What made you decide to work with high school students rather than middle or elementary students?
I think that high school students are emerging adults and appreciate music on a more mature and emotional level. High school students are also capable of separatist ideas and expression.
Teacher of the Week
Songs of the Week